Marriage Visitor Visa

Are you thinking of getting married in the UK, without looking to relocate long term? Then the Marriage Visitor Visa might be a perfect opportunity for you.

What is the difference between a Fiancé Visa and a Marriage Visitor Visa?

Some applicants become confused between aUK fiancé visa and a marriage visitor visa. The difference is however quite simple. If you come to the UK on a marriage visitor visa, you MUST leave once your visa expires. You can’t change your mind after 3 or 4 months and apply for a long term visa. To remain in the UK you must leave and apply for a new visa from overseas. If you do think you’ll want to remain in the UK after your visa expires you will need to opt for a fiancé visa instead. This will allow you stay in the UK for 6 months initially to get married before you apply for your spouse visa.

What is a marriage visitor visa?

You can apply for a marriage visitor visa if you plan to come over to get married, then leave the UK within 6 months of your arrival. You can’t apply for a marriage visitor visa if you intend to live in the UK afterwards, as the finance visa is intended for those who are planning on remaining.

If you are wanting to come to the UK for a longer period of time without getting married you will likely need a Unmarried partner visa instead.

How to apply for a marriage visitor visa

The general requirements are:

  • That you are 18 or over
  • That you are free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival
  • That you are in a relationship that the Home Office considers to be ‘genuine’
  • That you are visiting the UK for less than six months
  • That you are leaving the UK at the end of your visit
  • That you are able to support yourself without needing to work or that you will need help from public funds (or need to be supported and housed by relatives or friends)
  • That you are able to fund your return or onward journey
  • That you are not in transit to a country outside of the UK, Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands

Documents that you will need to provid

You will need to provide the following documents to support your application for a marriage visitor visa UK application:

  • A current passport or other valid travel identification
  • Proof that you can support yourself during your trip, for example with bank statements or payslips for the last six months, as you won’t be able to access public funds
  • Proof of the future plans for your relationship, such as documents that show your intended living arrangements
  • Details of where you might be staying, as well as any travel plans that you will have while you’re in the UK

Other documents that could further support your application if you happen to have them are:

  • Details of your marriage or civil partnership and proof of the payments that you made for these events
  • Proof of your wedding plans in the UK – these could be booking confirmations or e-mails that have been sent to you from the venue

Getting married is a really exciting time, and if you are coming to the UK specially to get married then all of the arrangements will have to take that into account. Contacting a specialist solicitor and getting all of the relevant documentation sorted out early can really put your mind at ease and allow you to get on with all of the more exciting wedding planning.

Related posts